Michael Phelan O’Toole
Objective : To obtain an entry level position in the film, broadcast
media or communications industry.
Massachusetts Bay Community College
Major in Communication Studies.
Selected Coursework: Communication, Mass Media Theory/History, Oral
Communication, Fundamentals of Public Relations, Film Studies,
Philosophy And Film, Marketing, Ethics.
Newton Communications Access Corp.
Hands on coursework in field and studio video and television production.
Videography, Digital Video Editing, Production Assistance, Oral
Communication, Pitch, Copywriting, Creative Writing. Observer of film
industry on-set etiquette, having put in time as a paid non-union
background artist on big budget, SAG productions multiple times.
Computer Skills :
Familiar with Final Cut Pro HD, Proficient in Final Cut Express, Sound
Studio, iMovie, Microsoft Word, Appleworks.
Very proficient in Mac OS environment, proficient in Windows OS.
Honors / Awards :
Alliance For Community Media’s Northeast Regional Video Festival :
Second Place for “Profile Talk Show” in the “Professional” category
for “Solipsist’s Dispatch,” 2010.
Alliance For Community Media’s Northeast Regional Video Festival :
“Most Innovative” in the “Professional” category for “All Over The
NewTV (Newton Communications Access Corporation) Red Carpet Award Of
Excellence : “Most Innovative” in the “Professional” category for “All
Over The Map,” 2005.
2006 NewTV Certificate of Appreciation for Educational Access Internship
2003 NewTV Certificate of Appreciation for Internship
Peer nominated three times in NewTV’s “Volunteer of The Year” award
category; once in 2001, 2002, and 2004.
BATV – Brookline Access Television
1/2009 – Present
– Independent intern, working closely with staff.
– Assist on various member and staff productions as Technical Director
of multi-cam studio shows, Production Assistant, Videographer, and
– Teacher’s Assistant for Spring, 2010 semester of Studio
Production/Directing course, offered through Brookline Adult
Assist BATV Studio Manager with studio setup, breakdown and conveying
basics of studio production and control room operation to mid-size
– Volunteer time to offer video editing assistance, one-on-one
instruction of Final Cut Pro to member producers.
– Co-Produce, write and perform in Northeast award-winning spoken word
studio show “Solipsist’s Dispatch,” in-house.
– Operate one of four cameras for “Golden Sounds” multi-performer live
– Assist show creator/producer in occasional three-camera direction of
punk rock band showcase “Sonic Lobotomy,” in studio.
NewTV – Newton Community Television
8/2001 – 1/2009
– Intern and Freelance Video Editor, Production Assistant, Videographer
– Assist on various studio and field productions
– Principle editor for Municipal and, primarily Educational
productions, responsible for digitizing and editing footage with Final
Cut Pro HD for staff-produced programs ranging from 30 to 120 minutes.
– Designated instructor of basic Final Cut Pro operations to new
station interns and volunteers
The Wellesley Channel – Wellesley Community Television
8/2004 – 5/2006
– Production Assistant / Studio crew
– Assist on studio and field productions, particularly weekly live
news broadcast, “Wellesley This Week.”
– Specific duties range from technical director, audio board operator,
camera operator, teleprompter and tape engineer.
Midatlantic (Boston Rock Band)
8/08 – Present
– Field Videographer, Co-editor, Co-producer
– Shoot rock band’s live performances for TV, Radio, and Web. Digitize
and edit footage from two cameras, in Final Cut Pro. Upload for
distribution, and area cablecast. Maintain YouTube.com page.
– Part of two person team, responsible for clearance, equipment setup,
and breakdown at Boston, MA area venues, such as Church, The Middleast
and Great Scott. Sole camera operators given permission to record
inside the 600 seat Paradise Rock Club during live band performance.
– Recorded band performance and interview for WAAF (Boston
Radio) Program “Bay State Rock” and Tufts University’s WMFO
performance/interview for “On The Town With Mikey D” program.
Underground Sun Studios (Audio Production Studio)
– Videographer, production assistant
– Assisted in freelance production of demo video documenting
flute/drums live audio recording used to create a demo of student
musician’s performance skills.
– Responsible for equipment load-in, setup, and breakdown, stand-in
for lighting, and operating one of two digital video cameras.
“Random Acts” – Cable Access Program
8/2004 – Present
– Co-Producer, co-editor, and host / emcee
– professional quality, avant-garde show, featuring artistic, free
form video montages, alternative comedy, music videos, in-studio
commentary and interview segments.
– Viewable on Cambridge, Newton, Needham, MA public access cable channels
“Experimentally ILL : An Indie Showcase of Alternative Film” – Film Fest Event
8/2008 – Present
– Event co-founder, co-curator, public relations practitioner, copywriter
– Create marketing campaign for series of showcases
spotlighting eclectic low budget films, animation, music videos and
esoteric video art, to be shown in Brookline, MA’s Coolidge Corner
Theatre and Somerville Theatre video screening rooms.
– Responsible for crafting all name branding, taglines and other
promotional print material.
– Recruit and correspond with graphic designers/photographers in
enhancing marketing effort.
– Assist in selection of, and correspondence with filmmakers/video artists
– Assist in compiling event submissions into sole DVD presentation,
using Final Cut Pro and iDVD software.
– Write and distribute press releases announcing event to local print
and new media outlets. Consistently receive coverage due to campaign
effort (Boston Phoenix, Metro , Dig, Needham Times, etc.).
– Facilitate and participate in interviews with the media for use in event
press coverage, as artist collective’s spokesman.
– Maintain film fest web presence: create and update social
networking sites, purchase website domain names, create, update and
edit official website using WordPress.com template and other low-cost
or free web media tools.
“Arigato (no kikoeru machi)” – Short Film
8/2009 – Present
– Associate Producer
– Assist Emerson College student in preproduction of B.A. Practicum film.
– Assist in scheduling and participate in crew discussion meetings,
assist in selecting and implementing key elements of production.
– Maintain and operate digital video camera during cast audition
process with writer/director, read lines with auditioning actors.
Discuss potential cast with writer/director.
– Responsible for seeking out and securing lead actor for film
(specific character type.)
– Co-produce and conduct on-camera studio interview with lead actors,
and later, writer/director, for promotional use.
References available upon request.